In a ceremony held on Tuesday in Awka, Dr. Somtochukwu Udeze, the Speaker of the Anambra House of Assembly, administered the oath of office to Mr. Justice Azuka, representing LP Onitsha North Constituency I. The newly sworn-in member takes the place of Mr. Douglas Egbuna of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), who was ousted from the seat based on court rulings.

The Election Petition Appeal Court in Awka, on November 25, upheld the decision of the Anambra State House of Assembly Election Petition Tribunal, which had earlier removed Egbuna from the seat on September 29. The tribunal directed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to withdraw the Certificate of Return issued to Egbuna, declaring Mr. Justice Azuka as the rightful winner of the March 18 election in the state.

During the same session on Tuesday, Speaker Udeze read a letter from Governor Chukwuma Soludo seeking approval for a N2 billion loan. The funds are intended to be disbursed as palliatives in response to the removal of fuel subsidy. According to the letter dated December 18, the Federal Government will repay 52 percent of the loan, with the state government responsible for repaying the remaining 48 percent.

Additionally, the House of Assembly extended felicitations to Igwe Kenneth Orizu of Nnewi, the longest-serving traditional ruler in the Southeast geopolitical zone, on the occasion of his 98th birthday and 60th anniversary on the throne. The motion to congratulate the traditional ruler was initiated by Hon. Augustine Ike (YPP-Nnewi North). (NAN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *